Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cheap GoPro Handheld Stabilizer: Planning

I've always wanted to have a floating stabilizer similar to what the Steadicam Smoothee offers but was always hesitant to pay the going rate for a device of this type.

The Steadicam Smoothee goes for $150 or more. That seems to me to be way too much for what the device is!

 Let's look at the parts needed.

- Quick release bracket(to mount the camera)
- Gimbal ( creates the smooth floating effect)
- C shaped bracket (to act as the center-of-gravity lowering device)
- Counterweights (to create the balance to neutralize rapid movements)
- Handle to hold the device

All of these can be bought fairly inexpensively and put together to create your own GoPro stabilizer. Here's what I've collected so far:

My QR bracket is the Sima Quickonnect  $8
My gimbal is the Lensse 12cm gimbal  $20
My C-shaped bracket is the Adorama C flash bracket $10
My counterweights are large flat stainless steel washers you can buy at any hardware store $5
My handle will be 1/2" PVC pipe with a bicycle handlebar grip $1 or free!

Total cost is $44!

Photos and setup later,
Ambrose

No comments:

Post a Comment